Friday, June 28, 2013

Of Prayers and Answers


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/062813.cfm) reminds me that God is not limited by anything when he answers our prayers.

In the readings today, we see people coming to God with their requests, and we see how generous and powerful God is. In the first reading, we see how powerful God is when he said that in their old age, Abraham and Sarah will bear a child! And we know he was true to his word. When Abraham prayed and asked God to also bless his child Ishmael, even if probably that was not God’s original plan,  he heeded Abraham’s prayer and told he will also bless Isaac. In the gospel we see a leper come to Jesus for healing, and we see Jesus healing the man and restoring him to society.

How powerful prayer is! God’s goodness and power is there, but it is also triggered by prayer.

How many times do we skip prayer, reasoning that we’re too tired or that God already knows what we want, or probably shy because we are sinful and feel unworthy to come to him?

Good news! God appreciates us being “shameless” or “makapal ang mukha.” Yes we are unworthy sinners, probably like the man in the gospel. During that time, it was believed that leprosy is God’s punishment for your sins or for the sins of your parents. That’s why you’re unclean, an outcast in society. But the leper, becoming shameless, took all his courage and came up to Jesus. Well, Jesus rewarded his efforts. Jesus rewarded his faith. And Jesus can reward us too.

May we be reminded how powerful and important prayers are, and how powerful and generous God is!

Father God,
Thank you for today. thank you for another Friday! Lord, I pray that you always give me a heart that would be “shameless” and come to you no matter what. I am sinful and I am sorry. But Lord, help me not to give in to the temptation to stay away from you because I am ashamed of myself and my sin. I know that the more sinful I am, the more I need you, and the more I need to be near you. And as I pray, may I never underestimate your power and your goodness. Amen.

Blessed Friday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...