Monday, February 18, 2013

Be Active


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/021813.cfm) reminds me that we should also be actively serving and doing God’s work.
The first reading reminds us of the commandments. We are told what we are NOT to do. Do not steal, lie, rob, curse, etc… we are told what NOT to do so we would not displease God. However, God wants something more…
The gospel tells us that God is not satisfied by us NOT sinning. Yes, it’s a start, but not the end. He wants us to level up our service by not just refraining from doing bad, but actively doing something good. Feed the hungry, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, care for the sick. Acts of mercy. Make God’s love alive to those who need it the most – the least, the last and the lost.
We remember in the gospel the story of the rich man and the beggar Lazarus. When they died, the rich man did not go to heaven, unlike Lazarus. Why? Not because he was a bad person, but because out of his blessings, he did not help others, even the beggar Lazarus who is just outside his house.
May we not be contented by just NOT sinning, but be brave and step out of our comfort zone and be proactively serving others.
Am I taking time out to be active in serving God and making his love more alive in this earth? What prevents me from serving God actively – work, ambitions, people who hurt me? What is God telling me right now?

Father God,
Thank you for the weekend. Thank you for giving me time to rest and take a break from everything. Lord, I ask that as I start this week, I be more active in serving you. May I not be contented with just not doing something bad, but be actively serving you and making your love more alive in the lives of those who need it the most and those I encounter every day. Amen. 
Blessed week!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...