Saturday, February 9, 2013

Others First


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/020913.cfm) reminds me to be like Christ and put others first

We see in the gospel that Christ put others first – his disciples and the people.

The disciples were telling him stories on their journey. They were tired but happy. Fulfilled with their mission. Jesus probably would have wanted to continue listening to them, or to continue working with them to further God’s kingdom. However, he knew they were tired, so he put them first and told them to go away and rest – both physically and spiritually.

Then when they got to the place, instead of resting and spending time with the disciples, Jesus again out others first, this time the people. They were hungry for God’s word, as shown by their effort to go to the place even before Jesus and his disciples arrived.  Jesus was moved and taught them many things, he satisfied their desires and longing to know God more.

As Christ is willing and ready to put others first, we too are encouraged to do the same. Sometimes, or a lot of times, we have personal needs and desires. However, we also are called to be sensitive to others, and reach out to others and not just focus on ourselves. As we experience God’s love, we are expected to share it to others.

Am I willing to put others first, or am I too focused on my own concerns?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another weekend. Lord, thank you for putting me first. Thank you for always being ready to come to my rescue, and thank you for your heart that is moved with pity for us who seek you, for us who are hungry for you. Lord, may I have the heart of Mama Mary, that even if she was pregnant and had her concerns on her pregnancy and her being the mother of Christ, she put others first and travelled to serve her cousin Elizabeth. Lord, give me that heart, and enable me to serve and put others first despite my personal concerns. Amen.

Blessed weekend!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...