Monday, February 4, 2013

To Each His Own


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/020413.cfm) reminds me that each one of us is called for a specific mission in life.

The first reading tells us of different ways Christ’s followers were persecuted. it tells how they suffered and died for the faith. In the gospel, we see a man tormented by evil spirits, and was set free by Jesus. When the man told Jesus he would follow Him, Jesus turned him away, and instead told him to go proclaim God’s work to his family.

God calls each of us in different ways. Some, like the followers in the first reading, were persecuted, suffered and died for the faith. Some, like the man in the gospel, are asked not to evangelize in other places, but at home. I believe that does not mean one if more favoured than the other. It’s probably because Jesus needs us to do different work for his kingdom.

Nowadays, some are called to be missionaries, here and abroad. Some are called to religious life. Others are called to serve God through community, or through their own families and friends. God calls us in different ways, and it does not matter how you are called to serve. What is more important is we respond to his call to serve in our own little way.

How is God calling me to serve? How am I serving God now? Do I continuously say yes to his call to service?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another week. Lord, as I start another week, I ask that you help me be sensitive to your call. I know there are different ways you call us, and I pray that I hear your voice when you call me. And as I hear your voice, may I always say yes to your call to serve, no matter how easy, or difficult, your call may seem. Amen.

Blessed week!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...