Sunday, February 17, 2013

Tempted

  
The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/021713.cfm) reminds me that everyone gets tempted, even Jesus.

There is a story of a man who was having troubles with sins of the flesh. He talked to a priest during confession, and asked what he should do to avoid sin. The priest told him that when temptations come, he should not entertain them, so he would not be led into sin. The man said, “Father I don’t entertain them, they entertain me!”

Everyone gets tempted. Even Jesus, as we see in the gospel. However, its what we do with temptation that sets us apart. We have the option to give in to temptation, or fight it with God’s help – to be a sinner or a saint.

When we fast, when we are weak, it is when it is easiest for the devil to tempt us. It is when we are most vulnerable. And it is where we need to hold on to God all the more.

When Jesus was tempted, he used God’s WORD. In Ephesians’ Spiritual Armor, the sword of the spirit is the Word of God. We also know that the Word of God is powerful and effective, sharper than any two edged sword. This shows we need to be familiarized and to continuously grow in knowledge and love of God’s word so we can have an armor when we are faced with the devil’s temptations.

May we be one with the psalmist in crying out – “Be with me, Lord, when I am in trouble

What temptations do the enemy always use on me? How do I respond? Do I call unto God to help me fight these temptations, or do I entertain them and be led to sin? Am I growing in knowledge and love of God’s word that would enable me to fight the enemy better?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for your Word that is powerful. Lord, I am sorry for not making the most out of your word. Sorry for not spending time basking in it, in not spending time reading and understanding it. Lord, I ask that you give me a heart that would long to know you, that would devote quality time to study your word. May I always come to you in prayer and call on you for strength when faced with temptations. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...