Friday, February 8, 2013

Don't be Afraid


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/020813.cfm) reminds is not to be afraid.

They say that the word “Do not be afraid” appears in the bible more than 365 times, and that is more than enough to remind us every day not to be afraid, that God is with us and he is in control.

The readings are full of reminders for us not to be afraid…

Let your life be free from love of money
but be content with what you have,
for he has said, I will never forsake you or abandon you.
Thus we may say with confidence:

The Lord is my helper,
and I will not be afraid.
What can anyone do to me?

Further on, the psalmist tells us..

The Lord is my light and my salvation.
The LORD is my light and my salvation;
whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life’s refuge;
of whom should I be afraid?

Be it people or circumstances, we are reminded not to be afraid. God is on our side, and he is in control of everything.

In the gospel we see a man who lived this. John the Baptist was not afraid to live his faith. He was not afraid to work for God, even going against the powerful during his time. He was committed to God’s work, to the point of death. He may have died on earth, but we know that God is taking care of him for eternity.

Having God on our side does not necessarily mean life is going to be easy. Jesus himself said that he is not of this world, and that the devil is the prince of this world. That’s why we should expect the world to treat us bad, since we are of God, and God is not of this world. Whatever challenges we may experience in the world, we are reminded not to be afraid, God is on our side and is always in control. Like John the Baptist we just need to be faithful in doing God’s work despite of everything.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for reminding me again to not be afraid. Thank you for always reminding me that I should not be afraid, that you are on my side, and that you are in control. Father God, help me always remember that. Help me surrender to you and live my life in serving you, knowing that my work for you will not be vain. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...