Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Double Lives


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/022613.cfm) reminds me that we should not live double lives.

I recently watched the movie “The Amazing Spider Man” and in there, there was a line by Aunt May to Peter Parker. “Secrets have a cost. They’re not free.”

I believe this goes as well even to us, normal human beings. Secrets have a cost. Spider man was living double lives. He is Peter Parker and Spider Man. Some of us, too, have double lives. We may not have a different identity, we may not be a superhero, but we are living double lives if we are not living consistently with what we say.

In the gospel, the scribes and Pharisees know what they should do. Even Jesus acknowledges this. “Do and observe whatever they tell you” These Pharisees and scribes know how we should behave, how God wants us to behave. But they are not living it. Jesus further says – “but do not follow their example” Yes, double lives.. What you say is different from what you actually do.

Sometimes, we may not realize, but we may already be living double lives. We know what God wants. We know the 10 commandments, we know we should be good people, we know the importance of fasting, prayer and almsgiving. However, we may not necessarily do these things. We may say these, but we may not do these things, especially when no one is watching us, when no one can see what we are doing. It is easy to be good when you’re with good people, with church friends, with people who have the same values as you. However, when we are with other people, people who do not necessarily value these things, we may get carried away and act differently from what we say, from what we know, from how we act when we’re with church friends. Double lives.

The first reading tells us what God wants. May we live a righteous life, regardless of who we are with. Let us live a life consistent with God’s teachings all the time.

In what ways am I living double lives? Do I have secrets? What are the bad habits and vices I cannot let go? What is keeping me from letting go of these things? Am I willing to let God control my life?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for reminding me to live a life consistent with your ways all the time. Thank you for challenging me not to live double lives. I am sorry Lord for living double lives sometimes. Sometimes I act differently or behave differently when I am with other people, when no one can see me. I forget that you Lord always see what I do. I pray that you give me the strength to submit to you and follow you all the time. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...