Sunday, February 24, 2013

Surprise!


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/022413.cfm) reminds me that God continues to surprise us.

We see the in the gospel the story of Jesus’ Transfiguration. Jesus took his closest disciples to the mountain to pray. It was probably a usual activity for them. They often pray with Jesus, so when Jesus called them, they were probably not expecting something new or special to happen. However, as they were praying (the disciples even became sleepy), Moses and Elijah appeared with Jesus, and were talking with Jesus! Moses – the representation of the Law, and Elijah, the representation of the prophets, were talking with Jesus. Later on, a greater surprise happened – they heard God’s voice “This is my chosen Son; listen to him

In our everyday lives, we are surprised by God in different ways. Sometimes these surprises may seem small and insignificant, sometimes really huge ones. What we need to do is be ready and have an attitude always sensitive and ready to receive and experience God’s surprises. IT may come in small blessings such as no traffic on the way to the office, a vacant seat in the bus or MRT, a free parking slot when you’re in a hurry, or going home with the sun still up. IT may also come in what we consider big ways such as healing from sickness, getting the job you wanted, healing of a broken relationship or an answered prayer. There are a lot of ways God surprises us and we should just be ready to receive such surprises from Him.

In what ways have God surprised me in the past? What are the unexpected blessings I receive in my life? Do I allow God to use me to surprise others?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for your love that always surprises us. Lord, I thank you that nothing is impossible for you, and that you never fail to surprise us, even in the most difficult or most normal circumstances. I pray Lord that I always be sensitive and ready to receive your surprises in my life, and may I also allow myself to be used by you to surprise others as well. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...