Friday, February 22, 2013

You Are Peter


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/022213.cfm) reminds us that we should be like Peter and serve God.

As we celebrate the feast of the Chair of St Peter, we are reminded of him in the readings.

The first reading shows us how saint Peter, the Church’s leader, wants us to serve. He exhorts the church leaders to take care of those entrusted to their care and not abuse them – to be faithful to their task and be rewarded when Jesus, the chief shepherd, comes again.

The gospel reminds us that Peter was anointed and chosen by Jesus, how Jesus entrusted the Church to Peter.

And so I say to you, you are Peter,
and upon this rock I will build my Church,
and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.
I will give you the keys to the Kingdom of heaven.
Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven;
and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven

Jesus loved us so much that He appointed and anointed Peter to take care of his church. He trusts in us so much that he gave us one of our own to be our leader in faith. And I believe he is calling us to be like Peter, even if we are not church leaders, to serve Him and bring others to him as we take care of each other in following Christ.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for reminding me how much you love me. Thank you for giving us saint Peter to take care of us. Thank you for continuing to guide us through the Pope which we consider as the successor of Saint Peter. We pray for the Pope, the servant of the servants of God. We pray that you continue to guide him, and guide the college of cardinals as they prepare for the papal conclave and listen to the Holy Spirit as they vote for the next pope. Lord, I also ask that in my own little way, you use me as your servant and may I bring glory and happiness to you. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-



No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...