Sunday, February 10, 2013

Conversion


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/021013.cfm) shows us three separate instances of conversion.

In the first reading, we see Isaiah being converted. He was made clean by God.

Then I said, “Woe is me, I am doomed!
For I am a man of unclean lips,
He touched my mouth with it, and said,
“See, now that this has touched your lips,
your wickedness is removed, your sin purged

God is like soap. He doesn’t run away from dirty objects, but his mere presence cleans us from all sin and unworthiness. We just need to humble ourselves and come to him.

The gospel shows us the conversion of his first apostles -  Simon, James and John. From their usual routine, these fishermen were called to become fishers of men. No matter how simple, normal or routinary our lives may be, Jesus still calls us to serve him in ways more than one. We just need to be open to Him and respond when he calls us.

Probably one of the greatest conversion story in history is St Paul’s conversion. We see his story in the second reading. From one of the fierce persecutors of Christians, Saul was called by God, and was converted to become Paul, one of the great evangelists of all time.

because I persecuted the church of God.
But by the grace of God I am what I am,
and his grace to me has not been ineffective.
Indeed, I have toiled harder than all of them;
not I, however, but the grace of God that is with me

No matter how lost we may be, God will still find us, and will still invite us to serve him. we just need to be open and allow him to use us.

Where are you right now in your life? Are you needing conversion? Are you open to be used by God?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for your love. Thank you for your patience. Thank you for seeing the goodness in me. Lord, I may not be serving you now in the way you want me to, or in the way I should be. Give me humility and faith to just come to you. Help me become open to you and be sensitive to ways you are calling me to be converted, ways you are calling me to serve you. Lord, I pray that I see myself as you see me- precious, capable of doing good, and worthy to serve you. May I also be open and allow you to use me, however unworthy I may see myself. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...