Friday, February 1, 2013

Insignificant?


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/020113.cfm) reminds me that nothing that God created is insignificant

There are a lot of people with insecurities, and one of the reason for this is because of our attitude of comparing ourselves with others. On our own, we are okay, but once we start comparing ourselves with others, these insecurities arise. I am not intelligent as him, or I am not as beautiful or popular as her, or I am not as powerful or successful as them. These things cause us to feel insecure about ourselves and overlook the blessings we have.

In the gospel, we see that the mustard seed starts small. It is the smallest of the seeds.it may feel insignificant or small compared to other seeds especially the trees in the forest. On its own, it would really be small and probably not so important, but when it dies of itself, it becomes huge. As the seed is planted, it dies of itself and allows God to take control. With God’s soil, sunshine, air and water, the small seed grows to be one of the biggest trees, and is able to be of great use to the birds and the environment.

This is true with us as well.

We may feel small and insignificant if we compare ourselves with others, and if we don’t allow God to take over.

We will continue to feel small and insignificant if we remain closed to God and just rely on ourselves and our own efforts. We will continue to feel insignificant if we always compare ourselves with others and overlook our blessings and graces from God. Only when we die of ourselves and allow God to work through us can we reach our full potential. God can magnify our efforts and use us mightily to further his kingdom and fulfil his purpose for us. Only God can enable us to reach our full potential and do great things for his kingdom. Only God can make us feel really significant and important as we build his kingdom and work for Him.

Do I feel insignificant? Am I insecure? Why? Do I compare myself with others? Am I willing to die of myself and surrender to God so he can use me mightily and so I can reach my full potential?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for your word that reminds me of the need to surrender to you. Lord, a lot of times I try to do things my way. I want things done my way, on my own. I sometimes leave you in church and do not include you in my day to day living. Lord, help me die of myself and surrender to you – be it in my service to you, in the workplace and in the home. May I be humble enough and let you take control of my life, because I know that I can only reach my full potential if I surrender to you. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...