Thursday, February 14, 2013

Everyday Decision


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/021413.cfm) reminds me that following God is an everyday decision.

Yesterday, before going to the 12noon Ash Wednesday mass in our office, I was about to pay my credit card bill, when after I reviewed, I saw one transaction that was not supposed to be there. I called the card company to report the incident, and was told that I would have to file a credit card dispute, receipt of which would trigger their investigation on the matter. Right then and there, I wanted to go to the merchant to inform them of the incident with the hope of expediting things, but I saw that it was almost 12:00 noon. As a person, I want to get things done as soon as possible, I don’t want to have pending items to be done, especially when I can do them anyway. However, I was thinking that if I go to the merchant, I would surely be late for mass and might not be able to focus on the Eucharistic Celebration. Praise God, I was led to choose to go to mass first, was able to find a good spot inside the chapel, and was able to focus on the great celebration.

The gospel tells us the same thing. The decision to follow God is done everyday. The decision to love God should be done everyday.

“If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself
and take up his cross daily and follow me

Being a follower of Christ is not a one-time deal. It is not a one-time big time decision you make after you attend a retreat or join a community. It may start from there, but following Jesus is an every day decision we should make. From the little things in life, to the things we consider as “big.” Everyday we decide who we follow, who we love, and who we are living for.

May we use this season of lent to prepare for our church’s greatest celebration – Easter. May we grow closer to God as we choose to follow him every day.

Do I realize that I should follow God everyday, or do I think that it is a one-time decision? Am I willing to follow Christ everyday? How am I carrying my cross everyday?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for reminding me of the challenge you have for me – to take up my cross everyday, to follow you everyday. I am sorry Lord for being complacent and for thinking that following you is a one-time decision. Help me to choose you every day, that in my thoughts, words and actions, I may always choose to love, serve and glorify you, Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Mrs V! Amen, indeed! =)

      thanks for visiting my blog =)

      Have a blessed valentine's day! May you always be blessed with Christ's love!


      -g-

      Delete

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...