Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Repent


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/022013.cfm) reminds me how we should repent

People act differently from each other, mainly because of differences in background and personality. One may consider a particular action offensive, but to another person, it is perfectly normal. Same is true with our faith. Probably there are differences in culture and environment from the time when the bible was written from now, but there are things which do not change.

In the first reading, we see how the people and the king repented when Jonah carried the message. The situation and the response that time may be different from the current times, but one thing is the same – we also need to repent, both in words and in deeds.

God knows if repentance is genuine. It is easy to say we are sorry and will promise to be better, but actually meaning what we say Is entirely different. God sees beyond words and actions. Yes, actions speak louder than words, but I believe that actions should be consistent with words. God knows and sees if our repentance is genuine, and will judge us based on our hearts and actions.

May we be one with the psalmist in praying - A heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn

What things should I repent from? Are my actions consistent with my words? Do I ask God to give me a heart that is trully repentant, and be genuinely sorry for it as seen in the way I live my life?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for reminding me how important it is to be repentant and how you are moved from a trully repentant people. Lord, I ask that you give me a heart that would be sensitive to know the times I hurt you, the times I sin. As I recognize the importance of repentance, may I also live my life consistent with it, being really sorry for my sins and living my life consistent with it. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...