Friday, February 15, 2013

More Than…


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/021513.cfm) reminds me that God wants us to go more than what is usual

The readings today are again about fasting, and I was reminded that God wants us to do more than the usual fasting. Fasting is not just an activity we should do, and that’s it. We fast and we live our lives as it is. God does not want it that way. He wants us to live our faith, to make our fasting transcend with more than just the denial of food, but of denial of the wrong notions and desires of the world.

God is not satisfied by us just fasting. He wants more, because he knows we can give more. He not only wants us to fast from food, but from the corruption of the world as well. Setting free the oppressed is us fasting from the desire of being in control, of being superior than others. Releasing those bound unjustly is us fasting from the desire of power in the world. Sharing our blessings – food, shelter, clothing – is us fasting from the comforts and desires of the world.

We can and should fast more than the normal notion of fasting from food. God deserves it.

What things should I fast from? Am I willing to fast from other things and go beyond the normal fasting from food? What is God asking from me? What is God wanting me to give up or refrain from? How can I grow closer to God this lent?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for the reminder that you want us to fast in different ways. Lord, there are a lot of things we can and should do for you. Help us to be sensitive to others and not focus on ourselves. May I make the most out of this season of lent and fast from whatever you want me to fast from, and grow deeper in love with you. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...