Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Calm in the Storm


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/070213.cfmreminds me that God's power should calm us down.

In the gospel, we see Jesus being in a boat with his disciples. Isnt it ironic that his dicsiples, fishermen by profession, would ask the help of Jesus, a carpenter, while they were in the sea? I guess it reminds us that during times we feel that we do not have control anymore, we call on God whom we know can help us.

However, in the gospel, we see that Jesus took the opportunity to teach them. Before he calmed the storm, he told them... Why are you terrified, O you of little faith?” He wanted to remind them that He is in control, that even if he was physically sleeping, he was still in control and that God the father is watching over them. 

How many times do we act that way? How many times do we let fear or panic or being pessimistic bring us down and scare us? How many times do we feel that God cannot do anything anymore? Or how many times do we call to God as our last resort, when we are panicking already, instead of stradily and consistently building a relationship with him when times are normal, so when things get tough, we will be calm?

May we be reminded that worrying is like saying we dont trust God... And that worrying does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, but empties today of its strength. 

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for being patient and loving with me. Lord, i am sorry for the times I let the world stress me out and scare me. I am sorry for coming to you only as my last resort, when i feel there's nothing else i can do. And i am sorry for not investing and building a relationship with you when things are normal... I pray that you give me the desire and will to build an intimate and personal relationship with you, so that in times like these, I will remain calm as I trust your saving power. Amen. 

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...