Monday, July 15, 2013

Sword of Division


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/071513.cfm) reminds me that Jesus brings the sword of division.

The gospel today probably looks contradicting at first glance. Jesus came not to bring peace? But in the last couple of weeks we see him always greeting his disciples with “peace be with you!” and he is said to be the king of peace, then why this division? Probably this affirms what the scripture says in Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart

Jesus is the word who became flesh. And like the word of God, he divides – not because he wants to cause division, but because he wants to separate his flock from the rest. Earthly affinity is not as important as our spiritual affinity. Even the closest relationships should not go in between us and God, thus he separates us from anyone and everything who is hindering us from following God. God wants to separate us from those who are not from his flock.

As we follow Jesus, we will have conflicts with each other – especially those who are of the world. However, we should take comfort in the fact that this is meant to happen, and just focus on following God, having faith that we are doing the right thing, and that Jesus is holding our hands throughout.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another week. Lord, I ask you that you always remind me of how special I am to you. Make me feel that, so that my feeling special or happiness would not need to depend on other people. Lord, as I follow you, may I be ready to be divided from those who are not of you, even my closest relationships. May nothing or no one prevent me from doing your will in my life. Amen.

Blessed week!

In Christ,
-g-


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...