Friday, July 5, 2013

Ready to Follow?


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/070513.cfm) challenges me to ask myself if I am ready and willing to follow God when he calls me in unexpected moments.

In the gospel, we see Jesus calling Matthew. Matthew was probably having a regular day – a routine day for him, doing his work in the customs post. He probably was not expecting something surprising to happen. Unlike Zacchaeus who climbed a tree to see Jesus, Matthew was just doing his stuff… but Jesus called him.

What’s inspiring to see was Matthew’s reaction to God’s call. There were no fancy words. Jesus just said “Follow me” and Matthew got up and followed Jesus. As simple and as fast as that. How inspiring was Matthew’s actions.

How about us? How often do we give excuses for not following Jesus? How often do we ignore his call when we feel it’s not proper or we’re not ready? How attached are we to our work or to this world, that we will not be able to readily follow Jesus when he calls us?

May we be challenged and inspired by Matthew to always be ready to respond when He calls us.

Father God,
Thank you for today. thank you that it’s Friday already. Lord, I thank you for all the blessings I have in life. Thank you because even if I don’t deserve it, you continuously give me these blessings. I pray that I may not be too attached to these blessings, Lord. May I always be ready to respond and act upon your call to follow you. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...