Sunday, July 7, 2013

Reward is Heaven


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/070713.cfm) reminds me of the reward God gives to those who work for Him.

There is a saying that working for God doesn’t pay much, but the retirement package is out of this world. This is again reinforced in today’s gospel. Jesus sent them out to work for Him in this world, and upon coming back, they were happy because they felt God’s love, protection and power as they were working for him. Yes they experienced rewards of the world as well as they were doing God’s work, but Jesus reminded them that it’s not the best part, it’s not the best reward. What they should look forward to is the retirement reward – heaven!

Sometimes, we lose sight of heaven. We get distracted by what’s happening in the world, what we want to happen, and the rewards we have been getting. We lose sight of the retirement reward in store for us – if we work for it. We lose sight that life is not just here and now, that this is very short compared to eternity when we die. We forget to prepare for our final destination, which we want to be heaven.

May Jesus words remind us to make heaven our ultimate goal, and work in this world to prepare for it.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to rest and spend time with people important to me. Lord, I pray that I may never lose sight of heaven. I pray that as I live my life here on earth, I may also work for you and prepare for eternity with you. May my goal not be anything in this world, but may it be to spend eternity with you in heaven. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...