Thursday, December 19, 2013

Of Words and Thoughts


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/121913.cfm) reminds me that God can tell the difference between our words and our hearts.

They say that we should be positive or be silent. If we won’t say good things, then we better just shut up - so we won't spread negativity, hurt or doubt. Probably this is what God was thinking when he silenced Zechariah.

In the gospel, we see the angel telling Zechariah that Elizabeth will bear a son in their old age. This was the same angel who told Mary she was to be the mother of God. In the surface, both their answers look similar. "How can this be since I have no relations with a man?" and "How shall I know this? For I am an old man, and my wife is advanced in years." Both seemed similar, having doubts or questions. But Mary eventually submitted "let it be done to me according to your Word" while the angel saw Elijah's unbelief and silenced him.

God sees our hearts. He sees what we really mean. He sees beneath the words we speak. He sees if our I love you God is genuine. He sees if our I am sorry is sincere. May we always remember that, and may we be reminded that like what He did to Zechariah, words are powerful and if we won't talk about good and positive things, we are better to be silent.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you that it Christmas is near. Lord I pray that you always remind me that you want more than my sweet words, and that you see beneath my words. May everything I say and do give you glory and bring joy and peace to other people. May i learn how to control my tongue to what will come out of me is just positivity and godliness. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...