Monday, September 3, 2012

Focus on God


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/090312.cfm) reminds us to focus on God, not on humans. IT tells us to focus on the message, not on the messenger.

We know that in this world, no one is perfect. Nothing is perfect. People fall and make mistakes. People of God, even the servant leaders, make mistakes. This is why it is important to focus on God and not on people. It is wrong to base our faith on how well a person explains something, how witty and energetic a homily of a priest is, or how great a servant leader someone it. Just because a priest does not seem to be friendly when you confess once, does not mean you won’t confess again. Just because you hear something bad about a priest or servant leader, means that you will go away from God’s church. People fall, but God’s WORD, his love and his message is constant, is perfect.

In today’s first reading, Paul emphasizes this. He does not want the focus on him or on how well he carries the message. He wants the attention of the people on God’s message, love and power. In the gospel, we see what will happen if we focus on the person. The people had a lot to say about Jesus. Because of this, they were not able to receive fully what he offers – they were not able to maximize their time with Jesus. Sayang!

Am I too focused on humans and their errors, instead of focusing on God and his message? Do I let other people’s imperfections affect my faith in God? Why? What can I do to always have my focus on God?

Father God,
Thank you for another day. Thank you for another week. Today, I ask that you help me focus on you. No one is perfect, Lord. Help me not to base my faith on other people. Help me not be affected by other people’s mistakes. I know people will fail me, and so I should stay firm and focused on you, because only you will never fail me, only you loves me unconditionally, and only you satisfies. Amen.

Blessed week!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...