Monday, September 24, 2012

To Whom Much is Given..


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/092412.cfm) reminds us that God expects something from us as well.

To anyone who has, more will be given,
and from the one who has not,
even what he seems to have will be taken away         

I think the famous line from spider man, with great power comes great responsibility, is similar to this bible verse. To whom much is given, much is required. An uncle of mine always mentions this bible verse to us, as a reminder of our responsibility not only to our family, but more so to others who do not have the capacity to pay us back for helping them out. A dear lasallian brother told us before his take on this verse. To whom much is given, much is expected. Nobody will force us to share, but as Christians, this is what is expected of us.

Giving comes not only in financial form, but more importantly in spiritual one. Yes, we are required to help our brothers in need by financially sharing what we have, but there’s more to that. Spiritual giving is just as important. Loneliness, hopelessness, spiritual dryness. These are some things that may not be easily seen, but just as serious, or even more serious, than poverty. Being children of God who are starting and continuing to know Him, we should also give this knowledge, this hope, this faith to others who may need it. This would take up time, energy, and entail sacrifice, but as mentioned, we are given much, and much is expected from us.

God expects us to not delay giving help to others. We are asked to give not just when it is comfortable to, or when we feel like it, but when others need it, regardless of our state. May we never hold back expressions of love on others.

Am I willing to give back to others what I have received from God? Am I doing something to give back to others? Am I willing to give of myself, not just financially, to others? When I give, do I expect words of thanks, affirmation or gratitude, or do I give without expecting anything in return?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for the weekend. Thank you for blessing me with so much. Today, I ask that you use me to be a blessing to others as well. I open up myself for your taking. Use me to fulfil your purpose, use me to spread your love to your children here on earth. Amen.

Blessed week!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...