Tuesday, September 4, 2012

To Know Him is Not Enough


The WORD (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/090412.cfm) today reminds us that knowing God and his power is not enough.

The demon, who knew who Jesus was (probably even the people listening to him did not know him yet), disrupts Jesus’ preaching and his work in the synagogue, that’s why Jesus commanded him to be quiet and leave the man. We see that it is not enough to know who God is! It is not enough to know what he wants from us. Even the demon knows who God is! We need to go deeper than that.

We also see God’s great power. He asked the demon to shut up and leave the man not to show off, but because he was disrupting God’s work. Jesus was preaching in the synagogue, and we see he would stop at nothing to get God’s work done. The demon acted that way because he knew he was powerless and helpless, so nanggulo nalang sya. And in his last act of rebellion was to throw the man in from of the people.

It’s also great to see Jesus power in action, simple lang! He just commanded the devil to leave. Simpleng simple, and the enemy was powerless against that. Powerful words from Jesus. Probably the man should have been hurt when he was thrown by the demon, but we see not only God’s great power over the enemy, and his gentle protection to us – the man was unharmed. How great a God we serve.

Am I satisfied with merely knowing God and who he is, or do we go beyond that? Am I afraid of the seemingly powerful and scary enemy and what he can do to me, or do I focus on God and his great power over the enemy and gentle love towards us? Do I know that the enemy is powerless against God? Do I seek to know God more, and spend time reading his Word, knowing how powerful it is?

Father God,
Astig ka! Thank you for today. Thank you for reminding me how great and powerful you are. Thank you for reminding me how powerful your word is! Thank you for reminding me how gentle your love for me is. Lord, I know na minsan nawawala sayo ang focus ko, and I ask that you help me always go back to you, help me to always have my focus on you, your love and your power. May I also not be satisfied in merely knowing you, but strive to have a deeper and personal relationship with you. This I ask in Jesus powerful name, Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...