Friday, September 28, 2012

Who Am I to You?


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/092812.cfm) asks me who Jesus is for me.

In the gospel, we see Him asking the disciples who other people say that he is. Of course, He is not interested with what other people say he is. He is interested in the answers of the disciples, who Jesus is for them. Their knowledge of Him should not be based on what other people say or think, rather, what they feel inside based on how they know Jesus, based on how well they listen to Him. Then we see Jesus quickly reminding them that being the “Christ of God” does not spare Jesus from suffering and persecution, but a promise of victory awaits him.

Jesus is asking us the same question today. Who am I to you? Who am I in your life? He wants to know who he is in our lives – not by merely saying who he is, but by living our lives as a proclamation of who he is. We cannot say he is our provider if we ourselves are not willing to provide and reach out to other people. We cannot say he is our mercy if we are very hard on others who have hurt us, if we cannot extend that same mercy to others. We cannot say he is our rock if we ourselves cannot provide strength to others who need us. We cannot say he is our savior or father is we are unwilling to step out of our comfort zone and be reach out to other people. Jesus is asking us who he is, and we should answer, not just by saying it, but by living it.

Who is Jesus in my life? What do I want him to be in my life? Am I living my life proclaiming who Jesus is, or do I just say it with my lips? Am I willing to suffer and experience persecution as a follower of Christ, knowing that a promise of victory is always there?

Father God,
Thank you for another day. Thank you for Fridays! Today, Lord, I ask that you help me live my life as a proclamation of who you are. May I praise and worship you not just with my lips, but with the way I live my life for you. Amen.

Blessed Friday!

In Christ,
-g-


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...